Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kids caught doing good.

I have to be inspired to blog.  I could never be a "blogger on demand."  This morning I read two Facebook posts that inspired me to write.  One was the shared story "1 + 1 = ♥" and the other was a post by a friend about a former student whom she had encouraged to overcome adversity and accomplish her goals.  This got me thinking about my own students and classroom so I decided to share some of my stories about "my kids."

I teach in a very small rural school.  Our ENTIRE COUNTY doesn't have a stoplight, a Wal-Mart. a movie theater or a hospital. We have one fast food establishment (Subway) so the kids here don't have a lot of options for entertainment.  Yes, some do get into mischief but most of the kids play sports, ride horses, four-wheelers, go fishing and hunting, or just spend time at one another's houses.  Most of them are good kids.  Kids that will grow up to be good parents and good citizens.  Many will go on to college and pursue their dreams. 

I spend my days in the company of 7th and 8th graders.  I see them when they are going though all the awkward phases of puberty.  Their first crushes and heartbreaks, the growth spurts and the ones who get upset because they haven't had their growth spurt yet, the acne, the braces, trying contact lenses - all of the typical pre-teen woes.  But this is what I don't see.  I don't see our students making fun of other students, being mean to anyone OR ignoring those that are at a disadvantage.  I see clothes that range from your typical stores from the mall (yes it's an hour's drive away) to clothes from the Goodwill Store but I don't see anyone passing judgements on those less fortunate or bragging about what they do have.  I see those that need braces or acne treatments but again I never see or hear negative comments about it.

We have special needs students and it never fails to warm my heart when I see the students helping them.  We have a wheelchair bound student and I watch daily as our students carry her books, open the doors for her, happily let her be in their science lab groups.  Another special needs student receives their encouragement to try hard and they joke around with him and get him to feel a part of their student community.  Our science club was competing last week and the students had built mousetrap launchers with the objective of knocking over bottles of different weights with "super bounce balls."  I watched these kids help the special needs student set up and fire his launcher, all the while cheering him on as he competed and offering advice. 

In my classroom, I have a system I have used for several years to assign students to groups.  I have a fish bowl for each class period.  In the fish bowls are laminated fish with each student's name on them.  I draw for lab groups, cooperative learning, anything that requires a group.  This makes it random, fair, and forces the students to constantly work with kids they don't normally spend time with.  They never complain - they dutifully go to their assigned group and get to work.  If there is someone in the group that struggles I see the other students helping them.  It never fails to warm my heart.

I don't want to give the impression that we live in a fairytale world.  We don't and I witness the occasional episodes of hatefulness, but it's the exception rather than the norm. I have not written one office referral this  school year and I hope I won't have to.  Generally you can pull a student aside and talk to them and that will take care of any negative behavior.  The kids here still care about what the teachers think and they still fear disappointing their parents.

I hope that I never witness the types of behaviors and violence that seem to be in the news daily.  I hope I never see one of my student's pictures on the web or tv for anything other than their positive accomplishments.  If you get the chance to read the share "1 + 1 = ♥" please do so.  If you are a teacher or anyone who works with kids, get yourself a system for assigning kids to groups so that no child is left out or picked last.  It will make a difference and you will see so many good things start to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment