Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Wal-Mart Chronicles

Wal-Mart, love it or hate it, for me it's a weekly event. It's a study in human behavior and I try to make my shopping trips as painless as possible.  Today's trip, though, was a test of my patience.  I generally go to Wal-Mart early on Saturday mornings. I know and accept that there will only be a couple of lanes open for those that can't use the express or self-checkouts.  I typically get in a line, browse the magazine covers, drool over the chocolate bars, and wonder why people stick meat and dairy products that they've decided not buy in the candy rack (go figure).  If I'm super bored I will get my phone out and peruse Facebook until it's my turn to unload my cart.

This morning, I realized when I pulled into the parking lot at 7:45 that the store would be much busier.  There were a lot of cars and I chalked it up to the weather forecast.  I grabbed a cart and my list and went to work (I'm not a browser or impulse buyer at Wal-Mart.  I treat it like a job - just get this done!).  I had a lengthy list that required me to visit most departments and I did notice that there were more stockers than usual and they were busy stocking items that most people buy when there is an impending ice storm.  The employees were courteous and moved their carts out of the way for people to get the needed items. 

I checked the last item off my list and headed for a checkout.  There were four open and there were long lines at each one.  I figured that any one lane was as good as the other so I pushed my cart in to the closest one and settled in to wait.  This lady (with a sour expression) pulls up behind me and says to me. "Can you believe this?"  I thought maybe she was talking about the weather and I commented that I was tired of the bad weather and she says, "Oh I'm from Mass and lived in Colorado for years.  I can drive on anything.  I'm talking about the fact that there are only four lanes open."  I just nodded, thinking to myself that four is more than normal.  She then leaves her cart and stomps off looking in all directions and mutters something about looking for a supervisor.  While I was waiting I got a text message so I pulled out my phone and answered it.  Then the lady says, "If I had my cell phone I would call the manager."  I got a sinking feeling that she was going to ask to use my phone or for me to call (panic set in - I don't like confrontation).  Luckily about that time a former student walked by and yells "Hey, Mrs. Ledbetter, How are you?"  I told him that I was fine and asked how his classes were going and he asked me how school was.  After he left, she asked me if I was a teacher.  I told her yes and she says, "Well you better hope you never meet my daughter.  She would have a few things to say to you about teachers and the state of public education."  I asked her if her grandkids went to school in this area and she said "No, they go to school in Garland, Texas."  (I made a mental note to send the teachers and staff of Garland ISD a sympathy card).  Finally - it was my turn to check out and I ignored her from that point on.  When I was finished I turned to her and said, "I hope you have a nice day."  She replied, "I probably won't after the day starting out like this."  I thought to myself, "There are some people that you can't please, no matter what."

Ironically, as I was leaving, guess who was pushing her cart up the center of the aisle so that a car couldn't get past her?  I slowly followed her (thinking evil thoughts), then I tooted my horn.  She jumped and whirled around.  I just gave her my biggest smile and waved, and chuckled to myself as I drove off.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment