Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Don't be afraid to climb on the skinny branches.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Ode to the Christmas Card


I love Christmas cards - sending and receiving them. I get so excited when I open our mailbox and see the envelopes that I know contain Christmas cards. I hurry inside the house to look at them. I note the return address (love the holiday return address labels), the shiny seals on the back, and holiday stamps. I very carefully open them, admire the cover and read the verses to JC. I always display our cards. I place them all around the house - on the credenza, the mantle, and hang them from card holders on the backs of doors.
Everyone has their own taste in cards. I love red and green ones. I hunt through every shelf at Hallmark each year to find the perfect cards. Some people choose the snow scenes. I received one this year from my friend, Renelle, that is a blue and white snow scene. I received another that looks like a gingerbread house and one that is just a red door. Many people choose the traditional Nativity or Mother and Child covers. Still others choose the family picture which can later be placed in the photo album. I love them all and I look at them often during the holidays.
I send out around 30 cards each year. I sometimes write them out in early November and place them in a basket until it's time to mail them. I check the USPS website to see what the new holiday stamp choices are. This year I wasn't too happy with the designs. I let JC pick and he chose the ones with the Christmas ornaments. We get return address labels with Christmas clip art and I joyfully stick them on my envelopes.
I also enjoy the e-cards and we get a lot of laughs from the funnier ones and we enjoy the ones that play music - but they will never replace the real card. I think it says something to get a card that someone had to take the time to buy and sit down at their table and actually sign their names.
Each year that I've lost a loved one and that Christmas card that I used to get doesn't come, it makes me sad. I will get out the last one that I received from them and set it up along with the new ones.
I hope I never lose my love of sending and receiving Christmas cards and I hope it brings a smile to the faces of those who receive mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment